Thursday, November 6, 2008

Requiem

Last weekend one of our pastors shared a quote from Calvin Miller, "Love smiles, Hate grins." The words caught my attention and imagination. An hour later, I mentioned to Steve that the quote was extremely appealing. So what was his response? He said, "Have you got a minute?", and when I responded in the affirmative he headed off back down the hall toward his office. Steve returned with a hardback volume in its dust jacket (Oooh, a dust jacket. Around here we still hide those so no one colors or writes on them!) which he extends to me.
This offering is wholly unexpected. I liked the words he spoke earlier, but I am already not moving along at the pace intended in my reading or an internet learning series I have committed to following. Despite the internal voice accusing me of being too busy to read something else right now, my hand is outstretched to reach for the slim book proffered by this man who is wiser than I, but for whom I have yet to see my admiration diminish--- a rare thing in a world needing grace and often characterized by disappointment. Perhaps some measure of the brilliance will be reflected if I read the words contained in the book proffered? Light reflected still illuminates.
And what words. The book waited with a small sense of accusation for a day or two before I creased the cover to begin the adventure it promised. In addition to Steve's comparison of Calvin Miller to C.S. Lewis, the book jacket contained praise for Miller saying, "...work in the tradition of Milton's Paradise Lost and J.R.R. Tolkien's "Ring Trilogy."" Really?
Really. And how. A Requiem For Love by Calvin Miller is genuinely a must-read. The description of Worship in the second chapter is stunning and the third chapter describes the oh-so-human need for touch and companionship despite an undiminished love for man's Creator with clarity and yet simplicity. Thus far, the book can be characterized as a sweet, sweet song. A song that remains with the hearer well after the notes fade. Oh, my.

No comments: