Saturday, November 1, 2008

Anonymity

Yesterday I cried. I cried because one of our older neighbors shared a celebratory moment with us. Well, she shared the news of the birth of her first grandson with "Kelly" and "James". Somehow a couple of our neighbors have mistaken mine and Don's names for others at various points in time, but too much time has passed to correct the errors without potentially having the neighbors feel foolish. And we are not really that concerned about whether or not these sweet people know our names. It gives a certain anonymity to the ways in which we are able to serve them by listening, mowing their lawns, carpooling on occasion... generally whatever is needed.

In much the same way that that Grandma told us of her good news, other neighbors have told of frustration and fears due to health challenges, financial crisis, difficulty with relationships, and assorted other uh-ohs. How human to need to share the joys, burdens, and day-to-day what-not of our lives with another. My tears were due to my sadness that so many people seem to have few close personal relationships which meet this need to share. So I care. I watch for the eyes that seem to be communicating more than "Hi!", or for the pause at the end of "Fine" as a response to "How are you?" that means there are many more words that can follow the expected response if I will make the time to listen and care. How precious are those moments when we are able to say without words, just by listening, that someone is precious and that what matters to them matters to someone else.
Today, I am thankful for "Kelly" and "James". I hope they will become ever more present.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Y'know, I had a very similar thought this morning when a woman at church answered my "how are you?" with such an intimate story of joy--it gave me pause.

Fannie said...

Bless you for being open to hearing - it's a gift.