Monday, May 11, 2009

Bad Mass Index

Today started off just fine. I was feeling thin, and looking forward to my well-deserved pat on the back at the endocrinologist's office for dropping my excess weight in just over two months through exercise and a sane diet that included all food groups and needful nutrients. (Yay, me!) Except that the "Woo-Hoo!" of standing on the scale that reflected my 17 pound weight loss turned to ashes in my mouth as the doctor shared the unpleasant truth that I am overweight by two pounds at 169.
The scale's reading would need to be at 167 to qualify for "normal" on a 5'8.5" frame. Seriously. Normal is a wide range that runs from 122 to 167. The good doctor would like me to set the goal range at an additional 20-30 pound loss. (Apparently my skinny jeans are really just my "overweight" jeans.) Because a normal body mass index is 18.5-24.9 and mine is 25. So. I recommit mysef to this plan to get my weight in line as an exercise in discipline.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Good grief, we're talking a matter of decimal points here. But if that's what it takes to make it official, then I have no doubt that's what you'll give 'em!
Congratulations on your accomplishment!

Fannie said...

What stopped you from hitting him over the head with the scale?

Green Girl in Wisconsin said...

Aw, man. I think that BMI stuff is crap. According to it my husband is obese. He's really not. So take it with a grain of salt, honey.

And good luck with the ongoing repairs at your house!

dabshire4 said...

You are not fat...