Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Strange Days

A friend sent an e-mail invite to join her this morning. To play with clay. In church. What's not to love?! Of course, I loaded up and headed over to see just what exactly she was doing. With clay. In church. A new genre of sculpting has emerged from the morning's mooshings and squishings. It's a fusion of Western and Gaelic styling. No name has emerged for this new thematic art, but I am sure that eventually the proper terminology that perfectly describes the result of mixing Celtic folk influences with faux blanket stitching will eventually emerge. Alas, I have no photo of the project which brought about my awakening aesthetic because it rejoined the larger lump of clay to be reborn another day.
This same friend and her daughter also tested out the cool Parachutes for Columbia that are in the works by tying said parachutes to baby wipes and dropping them off the second story of the church to be sure the parachutes will actually deploy. (Voice of the Martyrs is sponsoring making 22 inch working parachutes and sending said parachutes to a gentleman who uses them to drop Bibles and what-not into the area inhabited by FARC rebels to change their hearts.) Good to know that the parachutes really do work, and I bet they will be even better when dropped out of a plane rather than tossed over a balcony.
Weird day. Fun, but weird.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet you're glad you went.

Leanne said...

Weird is good. Fun too. Aren't you glad that you're not stuck up with the normal things in life all the time?

I wish you more of the same for the weekend. :)

Leanne said...

Hmmm. I didn't mean stuck up, just stuck.....

Scary how I wrote that. I wonder who I was thinking of!

Lol.

. . . the urbanhen said...

Hi there! I lost my instructions for the VOM parachutes. Could you send me details?- size, fabric recommendation, chord length, statement in spanish, etc...
Thanks!!