Friday, January 16, 2009

Afloat

This morning I turned on the computer. Where a message from our bank normally indicates that a direct deposit has been received, today there was only spam. The mister calls in to the Mother Ship's HR department to try to discover why he was not paid for his very last pay period. They were "experiencing unexpectedly high call volumes... please hold". (Go figure.) He hears that the company was waiting for a bankruptcy court to okay the release of funds necessary to meet payroll. The understandably gloomy HR rep relates to Don that the funds should be available by a certain time this evening.
Wondering if this evening will fall before or after the bank's funds availability cut-off time, I hop into the chat window with a friendly banking representative named "Sean". "Sean" cannot answer my questions about whether or not the proposed time by which we should have the deposit will be sufficient to meet our scheduled bill pay commitments. "Sean" does inform me that he is "wishing all to be well with your accounts". Because that's helpful.
I eventually just gave up on both the Mother Ship and Sean.
The simplest solution was to make a transfer from savings. The bank will make that transfer for me automatically should the need actually arise, but they will also charge an assortment of fees for their "help". The whole situation is more frustrating than truly scary. (For which I am infinitely thankful.) Because we are not dependent on the Mother Ship to keep us afloat for more than this one last week. I just hope there are enough life boats for all those still cruising aboard the Mother Ship. Feeling a bit of "survivor's guilt" today even as I contemplate the provision of God for our family.

1 comment:

Leanne said...

I'm glad you've got the funds to tide you over, and yes, it's scary. I can't believe the economic times we're riding out. Here's hoping everything comes out okay with you and yours down the road too.