Thursday, January 29, 2009

By Degrees

That is not a smiley face. No. It is a COLD face. See the white world behind me? It is not pleasant. No. While, it's nothing compared to Canada, Wisconsin, Poland, or Arkansas today--- it is too cold to suit this Texas native. Especially since I was out walking around in the cold at the mercy of my dogs' digestive systems while they happily wandered along sniffing the intriguing frozen ground. Yesterday was a little more fun because we discovered that a 90 lb. lab can pull a mother of three down an icy street in a manner reminiscent of water skiing to the hysterical delight of watching children.
Feeling particularly pitiful with my red, frozen feet and hands (despite layered gloves and socks) after this morning's walk, the weather on the net held a special sort of appeal. Reading that some communities face an extended time with no power, there was a prayer of thanksgiving on my lips for our fully functional heating system and appliances. (I could beat laundry against a rock in the creek/drainage ditch to get them clean, but the coffee maker is kind of a needful thing.) My Dad chose precisely that moment to call from his car. Because he is in the northern mountains of Arkansas. His temperature is a few degrees higher than ours, but he and Mother have been without power for heat, cooking, or light since Tuesday. Sitting in the car with the engine running allowed for a source of warmth, and gave him the chance to charge his dead cell phone. I asked if they could come south to enjoy the modern conveniences, but they are essentially trapped by the ice and downed trees.
I will never, ever willingly live in the woods in the mountains. I also know better than to proclaim that particular thought out loud while my parents shiver in their home heating water in a fish fryer to make instant oatmeal this morning. (Before the image becomes too dire, they do have a fire going and an apparently endless supply of downed trees.) Here's hoping that power will be restored to those experiencing outages sooner rather than later.

4 comments:

Fannie said...

We've lived through extended power outages a number of times. Thank God for generators!

Anonymous said...

Good luck--extended cold without power is a BAD thing. My furnace went out once when it was winter--Baby T and I were BUNDLED to the HILT until we could get it fixed. Brrrr.

dabshire4 said...

Frozen fog...

Leanne said...

Yikes! Here's hoping your folks get heat back soon. It's cold here too. So I left for a few days but now I'm back, and wondering why.... :)

Stay warm!!