Monday, February 9, 2009

Carpe Diem

This morning a bloggy friend (who happens to be local) asked for accountability in getting back into an exercise routine and lamented a period of depression. Her post in many ways mirrored my own recent thoughts. So I suggested we either partake in coffee or a walk. Within hours, we were trekking around a three mile course with my coffee in a to go cup. As we walked, we talked about the sorts of things which one would never post in the polite bloggy world--- or even the mildly irreverent one which we both inhabit.
Along the way we passed my kids' elementary and middle schools. As we trucked on by the middle school track, a certain far-off form caught my maternal eye. Walker and I head off our planned path to stand at the side of the school track. (Middle Child would have absolutely died, and we would never have pulled such an act with her.) We stood by the track with a jogging stroller, and me wishing for pom poms. We called out to The Boy and his friend, and we cheered them as they continued around the track. The boys thought that was just the greatest thing ever. We called after their retreating forms to be sure to practice for the next upcoming Special Olympics event on the 20th before walking away laughing about the unexpected break in our walk.
Thinking about the odd little adventures that come when one seizes on an opportunity whenever such things happen to present, I decided to take Middle Child out to "our" spot en route to the grocery store. Of course, she was in a rotten mood after school and picking arguments with her brother. The singularly unlovable behaviors guaranteed the girly needed some extra attention just when her actions and words made her less-than-appealing. She climbed in the car to go to the market in a semi-pout. On hearing I was thinking of going to La Madeleine, the surly tween was replaced by a radiant daughter. (Score.) We shared a dessert, caught up on points of interest, and determined that bell bottoms and afros have no place at an 80's dance.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How good for you and your friend--I wish I had an accountability person...

Anonymous said...

I don't have your email address--send it along so I can interview you!

Anonymous said...

Some kids need public cheers and others need private time...then they switch roles just when you figure it out.