Thursday, February 12, 2009

Interview

Okay, I was already intrigued with this interview thing, but after being called (jokingly) an "international woman of mystery" by Green Girl, I am so in... and away we go...
Here are the "rules:"
1. Leave me a comment saying, "Interview me."
2. I will respond by emailing you five questions. I get to pick the questions.
3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

1. What childhood personality trait did you outgrow or give up since becoming an adult? Was there a reason for doing so? I have given up my independence. I am utterly reliant on God. My husband runs a close second. On the days when I feel rebellious and want that independence back, there is usually a little some somethin' or other to remind me of just how I am blessed. Sometimes it takes more than a day because I did not give up my stubborn streak.

2. Describe 3 daily rituals that you never miss taking part in. Huh. I don't think I have three daily rituals. Which is odd considering my general antipathy toward spontaneity. I drink coffee every morning, does that count? I have weekly rituals. Let's go with that, okay? Okay. Every Tuesday Heidi and I have coffee, laugh at her girls' antics, and hide from the Jehovah's Witnesses (except when we are eating their way awesome cookies). Every Thursday (except when it's another day), the mister and I have a lunch date (unless we go for breakfast). Oooh, there is a new thing I do every day--- every weekday morning Lori and I walk three miles (or less). It occurs to me that despite the generally scheduled order of our days, there is a distinct lack of sameness that suits me well. Within the comfortable confines of routine lurk all sorts of little adventures.

3. Have you become the person you thought you'd grow up to become? What part of adulthood is markedly different from what you believed when you were young? I have no resemblance whatsoever to my childhood imaginings of "When I am a grown-up...". I am a Christian. My children are not clones, I know exactly what "10 centimeters" feels like, and not one of the darlings has red hair. I have never held any type of corporate job, and I have no degree. I am married. My children do not have a nanny, and our household is run by me rather than the paid staff imagined in my carefree, idealistic youth. There is an incredible sense of pride in providing a good meal, clean clothing, and warm home for my husband and children. I never saw myself with special needs children. (I still forget on occasion.) The idea of chronic illness and periodic near-fatal illnesses never figured into my life plans. I am content.

4. Given no limitations, what would be your ultimate vacation? Oooh, ooooh! I know this one! That "no limitations" thing really grabs me, too. I would simply travel the whole world taking the time to be immersed in the cultures of everywhere and anywhere. This permanent vacation would involve a lifetime of globe trotting and soaking in all the variety on this planet.

5. Write your first sentence/paragraph for NPR's "This I believe." Scrap NPR, I just have Third Day's song of this title running through my head. That's all we're gettin' today. Because the siren song of the dryer buzzer calls.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Ooooh, I'll bite. "Interview Me."

Anonymous said...

I like that you have no ritual to count on.