Friday, August 28, 2009

Seesaw

Middle Child has always been little. Meaning, "We'll call it the 10th percentile...", because that's the smallest increment on the pediatrician's growth chart. It was a huge relief to see little darling put on a few pounds this summer. Except that a coach snapped her up for Cross Country this Fall. The kid has a crazy high metabolism to begin with, and now she is running distance. *sigh* I'm offering the higher-end calories to her in the form of her beloved Macadamia nuts, peanut butter crackers, and orange juice in hopes of keeping the well-placed pounds gained over the past few months on her lean frame, but she prefers the low calorie goodies like yogurt and fruit that are intended for keeping my own caboose on track.
Speaking of my caboose, and just in case there was not already an inordinate focus on calories with Miss Katie's running season in full swing, I discovered a weight gain after feeding the digital scale new batteries. The old, spring-loaded scale had been lying to me and feeding the complacency founded in having decided to simply maintain my weight over the hottest months. Once the kiddies went back to school, there would be more time to finish last Spring's Weigh Down.
Eyes bulging, I read the numbers informing me that I was somehow overweight again last weekend. Except that something was screwy. Because days later, I am not fat again. Water weight maybe? Don't know. Don't care. Entirely relieved, but still curious as to how a scale that now reads consistently "not fat" over three days could have said "What.have.you.done?!" at the start of the week. In order to keep that from happening again it will be necessary to avoid all the high calorie, easy munchies stocked in the kitchen to induce Miss Katie's munching and crunching.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, tricky to load the kids up with carbs and not be nibbling yourself. I hear ya.