Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Sister



"And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." (Romans 8:28, NASB) Last week I watched with sorrow as children were presented to a painting as if it could influence eternity. The painting was The Black Madonna of Częstochowa --- a painting utterly sacred to Poles. Millions have flocked to this image. I photographed a little girl who reminded me somewhat of my own Erin. I prayed for my own daughter even as I prayed for the children in the cathedral to come to know Christ, and that these little ones would not be deceived by mere images of holiness. I hoped that they would all come to know Christ as the only way to God.

I returned home, and on the morning of Sunday, May 25th my Erin prayed with her Daddy while sitting in a church service for Jesus to be her savior. I was humbled and, quite honestly, a bit bemused by this timing. Erin also celebrated her first communion this week even as the little girl I had photographed a world away. It is with great joy that I welcome my daughter as my new sister in Christ, and I will continue to pray for the children of Poland to be the first generation that will know hope and freedom rather than guilt and ritual.

No comments: