Saturday, May 10, 2008

Weights and Measures

I may be making this harder than it has to be. Or the assorted airlines may be trying to drive me insane. (Alert: possible conspiracy theory) I finally tired of cutting back and forth between tabs featuring multiple airlines' baggage limits on-line yesterday. I opted to cut and paste the ever-so-slightly varying requirements from the assorted airlines onto a single page. (Well, one and a half pages, but at least all the information is in one place!) Once the United, US Airways, and Lufthansa baggage weights and measurements were all together, I found it less challenging to determine what size bags could be packed and how to spread the contents' weight across several bags for the flights to Poland.
If we stick to purses that are tote bags, a carry-on no greater than 45 linear inches (length + height + width), and a single suitcase that is smaller than 62 linear inches everything should be just fine. (Otherwise, we face the ugliness of fees for overweight or additional baggage. No thanks.) I can take my cane without forfeiting a bag, and (thanks to my fascination with tiny things) travel-sized packages of everything under the sun to meet our every possible need. Time to go step off and on the bathroom scale with and without suitcases with an eye toward 43 pound suitcases and 16 pound carry-on baggage to stay well under the stated limits...

No comments: