Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Freebie

Last week a teacher told her students, one of whom is household member, that they needed a copy of Steinbeck's The Pearl. Because this was not of any interest to my kid, it was promptly forgotten. Until yesterday. When the book was needed in class. And the need again slipped my child's mind until this morning when panic set in causing a phone call home to cash in this year's "freebie".
Each of the kids gets a "freebie". Theoretically, my offspring are capable of keeping up with their possessions on the way to and from school, and notifying us of any needs. Sometimes the theory does not hold up so well. When one of our lovies calls home because they have forgotten a needful thing of some sort, they are given a freebie. A freebie means Mom or Dad brings the tem needed. Once the freebie has been cashed in, such calls home are met with a somewhat steely, "...And you want me to do what about this?" After a couple of these calls, the children do quite well letting us know about any needs in advance and of keeping track of their assorted stuff.
The freebies are going fast this year. School started three weeks ago, and two freebies have been exercised already. One darling used the freebie the already because eye glasses were left at home. Child No. 2 blew the freebie today on The Pearl. This freebie is a real challenge. 125 or so other parents whose students also need that book have already scoured any retailer within three zip codes or so for the book. This is not so good. I have also put out feelers via phone and e-mail in search of some soul with a copy on hand either from a love of the book or a kid who needed it for school. No luck.
Tonight I will venture a few more zip codes from home for a Girls' Night Out birthday celebration of dinner and a movie. I am in need of great friends, a good meal, and a laugh which I hope "The Women" will provide. Perhaps I will hit a bookstore or two that is a little outside my normal range while I am out on the town.

2 comments:

Fannie said...

Hold firm, this is how they learn to do for themselves.

Anonymous said...

I hope you get that night out--moms should get "freebies" too!