Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Mommy 9-1-1

Uh-oh. The big kids were riding their bikes to school. I was happily venting my ire over the idiocy of Yahoo! in publishing on-line a story beyond stupidity, and hoping for my post-infusion headache and nausea to subside before I have to go see another MD this a.m. The phone rang, and I could hear one of my incredibly loud children yelling throught the handset. (Doubly impressive since their father answered the call.) Don said, "We'll be right there." and hung up. He headed for the cabinet with first aid supplies while I ran off to put on clothes I can go outside in without scandalizing the neighbors.
Once he told me that the situation was an injury, I figured that I was the more likely parent to go deal with the situation. Don stayed with Erin, while I drove down the street to find my kids with a growing crowd of the adults who we regularly see during our daily walks. (We don't actually know most of their names, but instead refer to the majority by their dogs, as in "Boots's people".) The adults semi-scattered as I emerged from the car with my box of bandaids and the first aid kit. Once they were assured that the boy with his profusely bleeding arm was in good hands, the assorted neighbors headed off to continue their morning walks or return to their homes. I patched up the boy and sent the daring duo off to school again.
While I frequently question the logic of children carrying cell phones, I am glad that today my kids could call home when one of them was injured because they did have a phone. It is profoundly reassuring to know that they do have the sense to call us for help even when they are in a relatively minor moment of distress and close to home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Of course with such healthy lungs, they might have just screamed and you'd have heard them:) Glad they mended okay.