Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Treasure

In a previous post, I mentioned being pleased to sign on as part of a prayer team that is committed to praying to prepare a young engaged couple for something far more amazing than their wedding--- their marriage. One of the ladies on that team has given permission for me to share this tale she offered to encourage our couple who are in South Texas because it's a tale too precious not to pass on...

"My sister and brother in law live in Texas City and so had to evacuate for Ike. They stayed with friends in Spring who happened to have room and plenty of food to share with them. It just so happened that the friend’s son had a wedding planned in Houston for Saturday night, Sept. 13. Because of Ike it had to be postponed. Mind you, they had been engaged for 9 months and everything was set. Everyone cancelled their plans and stayed home. But on Friday night, this couple came to his parents’ house, power already knocked out. Who was there, but my sister and brother in law. Did I mention that my brother in law is a preacher? That night he performed a very intimate candlelight wedding with a few witnesses and made a lasting memory. The ‘mother in law’ house out back ( where grandma would have been that night) became a honeymoon suite! The big wedding will happen eventually, but the marriage began Friday night!"

Wow. I found this tale in my inbox along with the following scripture (from a totally unrelated source), "Now without faith it is impossible to please him, for the one who approaches God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him."- Hebrews 11:6 That last bit is huge. Knowing that I can seriously let go of my needs and wants because God will reward me (in ways that I may not even be able to imagine) for being faithful is challenging to grasp, much less simply accept. It goes against all learned behaviors and cultural norms. ("God helps those who help themselves," ring any bells?!) I am amazed by this, but maybe one day I will really "get it", too. Prayer Partner's story was a tale I needed to read yesterday while I wrestled a bit with this particular snippet of scripture. I love that God provided for the newlyweds in this tale, but also for the pastor's family who were given shelter from the storm and plenty of food (One wouldn't want a wedding feast to go to waste surely?) while being put in place to perform that wedding ceremony. Awesome.

No comments: