Monday, December 8, 2008

Advent

Aside from the baking, cooking, shopping, driving, driving, driving, wrapping, decorating, and "voluntary" appearances at assorted functions I will know that the Holidays have ended by certain key events that will mark the passage. My countdown:
3 days to the Winter Band Concert
3 days to Christmas Festival Dress Rehearsals en mass
4 days to Day One of the Christmas Festival
5 days to Day Two of the Christmas Festival
7 days to my auntie's surgery
9 days to my daddy's new hearing aids being fitted
10 days to my parents' re-entry into the home state
11 days to elementary class parties and my in-laws' arrival
12 days to the start of Christmas Break
13 days to my in-laws' departure
15 days to my parents' departure
16 days to Christmas Eve
17 days to Christmas
21 days to the next infusion
24 days to starting afresh
I am thinking that a wee piece of chocolate should be behind each and every day of this countdown just like the kids find behind the little cardboard doors of the Advent Calendars that have become part of our traditions thanks to the precious German Mother of a friend who provided the first few calendars. Or maybe a Prozac to get me through the next 23 days and facilitate that fresh start!?

3 comments:

Lori said...

And a Partridge in a Pear Tree!!!

Fannie said...

I can't even bring myself to start counting - for fear I'll burst into tears!

Anonymous said...

Chocolate sounds really good after seeing that list!