Monday, December 22, 2008

Juiced

We have surprise visitors. We were actually talking about the likelihood of having some other surprise visitors when Sylvia (expectedly) stopped by to pick up yummy holiday breads baked for her family and hand-me-downs for a family in need. While Sylvia was here, I discovered to my horror that raw chicken juice had leaked all over the bottom shelf of the fridge. Ew. This required an immediate response with bleach because few things gross me out more than raw meat and anything associated with it. (The raw meat bleah was strong enough to fuel a vegetarian diet for a while; however, I happen to like the stuff cooked so that eventually had to be worked out.) We cleaned up the badness, and I gathered up the mountain o' hand-me-downs which were then loaded into Sylvia's car with the help of our collective seven kids.
I returned to my warm kitchen still thoroughly unhappy over the chicken juice incident. Fortunately, having delayed my breakfast, I was able to self-medicate with yummy breakfast casserole left over from yesterday's big buffet with the in-laws. Contemplating the banana bread with nuts in the oven, I lamented that Sylvia was not going to get any of that fresh batch after all. Just as the microwave signaled caramel french toast goodness was ready to eat, there was a knock at the door. Don said, "Sylvia's back." Heh?
Sylvia is having trouble with a lack of juice... she needs a new battery. Sylvia's kids and my kids are all hanging out here while Sylvia has the opportunity to do what the other mommies dream of today: being forced to simply stop for a moment. Sylvia is getting a new battery. Sylvia will also be getting some of that banana bread batch that was put together with her specifically in mind. (It's bonus #1.) And since it is almost lunch time, she and her kids will also have an invite to join us for the noon meal. (There's bonus #2.) I suspect she will be content with lunch, treats, and a battery that works as the family heads back out into the cold to resume the celebration of her eldest son's 14th birthday.

3 comments:

Lori said...

How cool to have an unexpected opportunity to spend time with friends!

Anonymous said...

This was the first time I had thought about the banana nut bread, since you said, do not forget it. I shall return. Dad

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it worked out for the best:)