Saturday, July 31, 2010

See

Yesterday's trip to the food pantry with our addition to their shelves was delayed. This morning, the camera was tucked into its protective case, and loaded into the car with the boxes of powdered milk, cans of spinach and carrots, and two pound bags of beans to be delivered. Later today, there is an opportunity to sit before a video camera at church and record a few words about the commitment to these deliveries. First, I need to snap the pictures that will hopefully reflect the Sermon on the Mount with what can be seen inside the belly of the food pantry. Incidentally, these things are related.
The weekly trips to the food pantry are inspired by Jesus's caring for other people's needs. And food is a pretty basic need for people. To cite a well known instance, there was that whole loaves and fishes thing. That, "You feed them," inspires me. I want to shout, "Yessir!" and feed everyone who might possibly be hungry. This is such a simple way to serve others--- to do exactly what Jesus would desire. So. Our family adds a few items to our grocery list that fit the calorie-dense meal plan that dictates the groceries given out by the dedicated team of volunteers who serve the clients at our community food pantry. Yes, Lord. We will feed them.
Our church is preparing snippets of video testimony. Under the heading of "Serving," is an opportunity to share this thought that the food pantry is a place facilitating Jesus's, "You feed them," and to highlight that our homes, neighborhoods, and community are our first mission field. In August, the church is also accepting artists' interpretations of the Sermon on the Mount. The food pantry was to be the subject of a photo essay for this purpose which is why the camera was tucked in among the donations today. Except that the photos do not tell the story. And I suspect the video will not, either. Because it is not my story.
The use of text and photo take me out of the equation. My soul and heart are given voice through these mediums, but I am not the subject. It is Jesus, and the service of the One who I love that is hopefully featured in the pictures and paragraphs offered. How do I disappear from a video? How do I remove myself from the equation? This quandary is reminiscent of the yearning of a dear friend (who serves as an astounding worship leader) as she expressed that the greatest compliment she could receive was to hear that those following her into worship ceased to see her. My sentiments exactly.

No comments: