Monday, July 14, 2008

Boy Wonder

Hey! My girls have jumped ship just when I was counting on them! Both of my girls were included in the equation when I signed on to make dinners for two friends' families tonight as well as our own, but both girls had better offers than endless root vegetable peeling. (They have run off to friends' homes to go swimming and hang out for the rest of the day.) Uh-oh. I am preparing three pot roasts (already defrosted), a zillion pounds of potatoes, and have solved the carrot-peeling issue by switching to teeny baby carrots that are not going to need their peels removed. I am feeling pretty thankful for those bagged salads right about now, too. This is still do-able.
As I am contemplating the level of in-over-my-head that might be occurring, I help Evan prepare his frozen meatballs for lunch. Nuke the meatballs, thinly cut fresh basil and heat it on the stove, place slices of mozzarella cheese on leftover hot dog buns, and then place all of the above assembled into sandwich form back in the microwave to warm the buns and cheese. The boy was pretty impressed with Mom's version of a meatball and mozzarella Hot Pocket. (I was really thankful he did not put ketchup on it. Ew.)
As I continued to prepare a rosemary and basil oil for the potatoes, Evan informed me that he is willing to help me out with making the dinners for our friends. Heh? What's that you say? Hmmm. I am very interested to see how this will go. Evan usually does very well in the kitchen, but he is not typically interested in what goes on in there so much as what comes out. Much as I will miss working with the girls, I am excited about hanging out with Evan. Whoo-Hoo!

No comments: