Saturday, July 26, 2008

Preparation

I've been reading in Numbers. I find myself taking a census of sorts. How many people live here? How many people will live with us in a decade? Where should we post our banners? Who's in charge of what around here? On whose authority? Are we faithful enough to go wherever we are sent? What if the "where" is not to my liking? What if the where is our mind-numbingly familiar suburban block or an exotic, scary place where our parents' feet have never taken so much as a step? How will we prepare?
The preparation is out of my hands for our future even as it is for something as mundane as the kids taking their vacation with my parents. The kids' stuff did not magically arrive at my parents' destination. (Neither did some of Dad's since his garment bag is still hanging in the entry hall closet.) It required the kids to gather their assorted stuff, me to fold the what-not so it all fit into their baggage, and my Dad to haul it across a couple of states to their destination. Each one of us did the task at hand when it was time to do it. As a result, the kids have the appropriate clothing for their activities during the week.

I did not have to plan the travel route by which that luggage would reach its destination. I did not have to tell the kids exactly which items to pack, but only what sorts of activities they could expect and how many of the basics would be needed. Swimsuits and goggles were important, but dressy clothing was not on the list. Several changes of clothes, pajamas, socks, and underwear were needed because the kids would need to make it through the weekend before the option to wash clothing at Granddad and Grandma's house would exist. Everyone should have a toothbrush. All the sundry stuff needed to fit into the bag or combination of bags available. I purchased any new items that were needed, and hemmed cut-off shorts to extend their usable lives. Once the bags were zipped shut, it was Granddad's turn to load them and see to the transportation os said baggage to its destination.

My role in the equipment of these children for their vacation was simply to provide their clothing and toiletries. The job of transporting what was provided is on Granddad's plate. The children will likely be expected to dress themselves, but there is a reasonable expectation that the grands will give direction as to what mode of dress is appropriate based on the planned activities so that the duckies don't take a flying leap into a hotel swimming pool wearing their pajamas. My place in this tale will recur when the children bring home all their dirty laundry and a load of souvenirs from their travels that need to find a home somewhere.

All of that said, I do not know what God's plan is for me in the years to come. I do expect that it will coincide neatly with His plans for the other people I'm here to serve. I expect the role I play will be one I am able to fill, but that sometimes it will be harder than I like. There will be challenges like needing to find a time to borrow my friend's sewing machine to hem shorts, the price of new shorts may be higher than I want to pay, or retailers may have shifted their inventory to Fall clothing in Alaska although we are enduring 100 degree days when I need to come up with at least six pair of shorts for the girls to have enough on their trip. Still, the tasks that make up the larger job will all be completed, or they will turn out to be less of a priority in reality than they were in my head. Over time, I will see the Promised Land. I just hope that I am faithful enough to go forward rather than foolishly becoming bogged down in details that can detract from the real issue of faith.

No comments: