Friday, August 8, 2008

What To Do

Possibilities. I have yet to go back to school in pursuit of a degree because I do not know what I want to be when I grow up. Last year's nasty little melanoma incident brought the question of, "What would I do to support myself, three children, and the assorted furballs?" should the oh-so-euphemistic "something" happen to Don. I am uninsurable thanks to a bout with cancer in high school followed by the myriad health issues from the immunodeficiency to the connective tissue disorder and mini strokes. (If you don't believe in answered prayer, let's chat.) Uninsurable is bad when there's a $5K treatment that has to happen fourteen times a year. (Yes, I am the reason your insurance premiums are so expensive.) Any-who... back to the possibilities.
I do not want to teach, or do anything that involves strangers' offspring. I am neither an artist nor an athlete. My technical skills include crashing Windows and asking my daughter how to send a text to someone not already in my address book. I have no formal training in anything. Uh-oh.
Volunteer experience I have out the wazoo. My primary interest is in trouble-shooting, logistics, and strategic planning. I like to make things go without having to step out in front. At the moment several possibilities have opened up including one supporting a batch of artistic folk administratively and another playing with food and beverages. A friend needs childcare once a week so she can do her job well, and I happen to be willing and available to keep her lovies while my own are in school. There was talk of helping to put together the elementary school yearbook, too. In a perfect world, I would be an event planner. I love to take a zillion details, a group of people with their assorted talents and abilities, and see them all come together to create someone's dream. It's just nifty.
Interesting to see how the various opportunities will come together. I'm not sure which tasks will be spot on, and which ones will be filling a need. I am also looking for the elusive answer to what formal training should be pursued toward the goal of becoming a bread winner. Don has our needs and wants covered, but he is correct in his assessment that I ought to have something I can do as a Plan B that can provide both income and insurance coverage should the need arise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Event planner or office manager. If you can set up a blog, you can totally master most computer programs. I bet you'd shock yourself! Good luck figuring out your "next step!"

Fannie said...

Hells bells, I got a job with nothing but "volunteer" on my resume. So can you!

P.S. We are painfully aware of the problems pre-existing conditions present. :(