Monday, March 9, 2009

Expansion

I have performed a particularly neat trick. Over the past six months I have gained 11 pounds. (This would be acceptable if I had a due date coming up.) The most impressive tidbit is the ability to pack on those pounds while my thyroid levels were high. (For the blessedly uninitiated, thyroid hormones regulate all the other hormones. High levels should cause one to lose weight along with a host of other highly unfavorable effects.) My once regular exercise plan had become almost nonexistent. Add in the holiday excesses to my regular cookie indulgence, and we have plans for expansion.
My doctor informed me of my weight gain this afternoon. She was concerned about the "unexplained gain" in light of my hormone levels. (I think there might have been some eyeball rolling on my part. And a wee bit of squirming.) I informed her that the gain was entirely explained--- and proceeded to fill her in on my increased munching and crunching and decreased activity level. I also told her that I am bringing my eating habits back into the realm of normalcy and have added the 3-5 miles of daily walking back into the week. It's a good thing to have already knocked off five pounds unknown to Dear Doctor in the past several weeks! And to know that what needs to address this issue is already in play.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've magically gained 4 pounds in the last month--for many of the same reasons. I'm not real happy about it either.

Fannie said...

You're doctor has a lot of nerve bringing up weight gain! Sheesh!