Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Shoe Purse!

Last year, Lisa and I flew 5,000 miles to Poland to pray with our team for Poland in Poland. We stayed with Lisa's sister Shelley who happens to be a missionary to Poland. During the stay, Shelley and I visited an open air market with another team mate. There we found some likely looking pre-owned handbags for a reasonable price. Shelley chose one big enough to schlep around her stuff during our daily outings, and another for a friend of ours, Denise, who did not join us on the trip.
Shelley and I presented the bag to Lisa at dinner. She was equally bowled over by our fabulous find. There was no small amount of laughter as we talked about the bag's ultimate destination. (Denise is an accessory aficionado. The woman is like the Stephen Hawking of handbags and jewelry. I love her special sort of genius even more because it is not quite my own "thing".) Lisa and I eventually carried the purse back to the U.S. with us. I figured customs would confiscate it for sure, but they left our treasure unmolested to make the final leg of our trip back to Texas.
Months later, Denise's birthday rolled around. The group of women who I refer to in my head alternately as The Birthday Girls and as part of the collective of The Women headed off to our traditional birthday celebration of dinner and a movie. As Denise opened her assorted gifts, a special package "straight from our Fabulous European Vacation" was presented with Shelley's special gift lurking within layers of pretty tissue. Inside Denise found the multitasking accessory of her dreams--- Shoe Purse!

2 comments:

The Big Burbs said...

Perfect gift!!! I'm sure she considers her friends the best 'accessories' she has!

Perceptions said...

Hahaha! I love the picture of Denise opening the gift and seeing it for the first time! Miles of fun... or should I say kilometers?! I guess we could say that purse has been around the block. Hey, Denise is in the very small population of people who could rightfully ask, "Have you ever walked a day in my purse?!"
okay, so I'm laughing, but perhaps i'm the only one. Nope, I'm pretty sure you're laughing too, Holly. :)