Thursday, February 28, 2008

Letters


In my little baggie that I refer to as the "Poland Stash", I have a couple of checks, some cash, the receipts for small items toward the trip, and now a big one. Our printer has been replaced because the old one has had it. After running to Ally's house to pick up the support-raising packet Shelley sent so I could peruse a hard copy, and considering the number of print jobs in the immediate future, replacing the busted printer made sense. After spending a couple of hours printing self-addressed return envelopes and letters, I was doubly glad to be in my living room rather than discommoding my friend.
All those tiny little 10-12 point letters started to get a little blurry around midnight. I am hoping to send out support letters today for the Poznan trip today. Our wait was necessary until it the decision to work through Great Commission Ministries to raise the needed prayer coverage and funds was finalized.
I started working on the letter back in January, and a second version was born yesterday. Last night the two finally became one, but I found myself juggling tenses and a few weird repeated words that had to be weeded out. Hopefully, I found all the oopsies. I know there was one I missed right up through the 37th letter to print. I redid the preceding 37 letters because I just couldn't leave the error once I saw it. I wonder if there were other errors I did not catch despite repeated proof-reading?
I don't really think the letter expresses all the thoughts, emotions, expectations, hopes, and general sense of wonder I would like to have crammed into a single 81/2X11 sheet. The writing of this letter has been my biggest hang-up in the process of planning this trip. When yours comes, you can know it was an exhaustive process that involved input from multiple sources, prayer, and is not quite what I would hope it could be. It is done though. Once we finish up the reply cards and stamp the return envelopes, those letters will be winging their way via the trusty US Postal Service to a mailbox near you!
Hooray for the latest step towards praying in Poland!

Early afternoon update: We dropped off the big batch at the post office, and now we are going to... WAIT! It's going to be fun to watch the replies come back in over the coming days and weeks.

1 comment:

Perceptions said...

WOW! I am impressed with your dedication!! You continue to amaze me with how quickly you're getting stuff together- I just sent the info packet on Wednesday and by Thursday your letters were in the mail! I'm excited, too, for the replies to start coming in! Your story just might be one that I share for many teams to come, as inspiration! :)