Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Wrongness Rebuttal

Today we purchased a new microwave. The microwave will replace our ancient busted built-in unit. I was not happy with the proposed cost of delivery and installation on low-priced microwaves compared to the discounted charges on high-end models. We bought the less expensive machine to avoid me hating the thing forever because it cost more than I was comfortable with spending. I figured the best protest was to not purchase the more expensive installation and delivery.
I suggested that Don put it in with the assistance of any one of several people we know who might have some experience with this sort of task. We called my Dad who said the job was not too bad, but that it would be good to have help. I again named off a couple of people who could help. Don even mentioned the idea of having my Dad help out which is great except that Dad and the microwave are in different states.
Almost as soon as we arrived home with the new microwave, Don began to remove the old unit. That involved figuring out how the thing was attached to the wall. I figure if one does not know how something is attached to a wall, then one should not attempt to take it off said wall. I e-mailed out prayer requests to his sister and a couple of friends because I protested the he-manly pride evident in not asking anyone else for help, and I figured I would be challenged to not share my opinion.
I wanted to be supportive. I was pretty sure he was entirely capable of the task at hand, but I also know that he had zero experience with installing appliances--- especially appliances that hang on the wall over our range and require "two person installation". He said I had no faith in him. I just wanted there to be a really well-thought-out plan that would not involve me. Don hauled off and leapt into action to fix my busted microwave for me. More than once, I offered my counsel regarding asking for help (and waiting for availability of one of the other guys), but he opted to immediately install the microwave over the range. (This is the sort of thing that drives me crazy. I hate being ignored.)
Heaven help us, he did it himself. Prayers were answered when neither of us were injured and nothing was broken. My desire to silently assist him when asked and otherwise stay out of the way was scrapped, and we both made a couple of sniping comments before each of us wisely chose to drop the subject. I still question the appropriateness of me as a helper for this project. I don't think this is quite what God meant by "I will make him a helper." Fortunately, Don was right and the microwave was installed without incident despite my assistance. So there. http://bassdon.blogspot.com/2008/01/wrongness.html

No comments: