Friday, November 16, 2007

Blindsided

I almost never saw her. I was watching for trouble on my left and from the rear while trying to gauge the speed of those ahead as I prepared to enter the highway at a steadily increasing speed. The lunatic in the Honda came out of a parking lot across a couple of lanes and the solid white line to enter the highway. While I was impressed by the level of creativity her driving showed, I was definitely not pleased to discover another vehicle about to plow into the side of mine where Don was riding! I figured my parents were probably having a stroke since they were following us and likely had a far better view of our new friend than they wanted. I also wondered if the officers who came to the scene would accept my parents as witnesses that this lady t-boned us on the access road. Fortunately, we did avoid an accident today, but it was a near miss.

I wonder what I am not seeing in life that will blind-side me later? I wonder if there is something streaking toward us as we blithely move through our day that will force us to slow down and re-evaluate... spin us out of control in a series of slow-motion heartbeats... or bring us to a grinding halt.

2 comments:

dabshire4 said...

Holly talks to the cars....

It makes me laugh a little, but usually not out loud, because I am afraid to laugh out loud...

dabshire4 said...

As to something streaking towards us waiting to smash us into tiny little bits and all that - of course there is...

Life is always waiting to eat us for dinner. All we can do is enjoy where we are at now, and hope when the smoosh comes, it doesn't hurt too terribly much... :)