Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Making Do

Hmmm. The heater is out. Yes, I kow we should get that fixed. I also know the heater is not going to be fixed for the money we have available for that purpose right now. We'll get it done. We will not get it done before the temperature drops this week. I consider an air conditioner to be necessary in Texas. It is conceivably life-threatening to go without a/c in a Texas summer. Our winters are generally pretty mild, but I am concerned about our projected drop to freezing this week. That might not be fun.

This afternoon we all piled in the truck to head for Wal-Mart to look for ways to keep warm over the coming cold snap. Sarah's suggestion of electric blankets was inspired, so we made sure that was on our list for the kids. Thermal underwear for everyone seemed like a good idea to me. (The girls were offended by the appearance of the long johns. I confess to rolling my eyes a time or two over their concerns with color and pattern.) A few over-sized fleece blankets, extra gloves, and dorky hats for all went into the cart as well. (Our photos on Thanksgiving Day are going to be funny if we actually get cold enough to wear those hats inside. I am half-way hoping it does get cold enough.)

While a space heater seems like an obvious solution, I just cannot make myself purchase or borrow a space heater. I've just seen too many episodes of the evening news where houses burn down thanks to a space heater. I really cringe at the idea of a space heater with the kids and pets. It takes no imagination for me to envision a child draping a blanket over a space heater or an animal knocking one over. We will just have to bundle up, hang out in the kitchen, and snuggle up.

1 comment:

Cindy Martin said...

How fun that you started a blog! I bet you are blowing our mom’s mind with this one, since she just started using email last year! 

Definitely get a space heater – they are wonderful, and the new ones click off if they tip over. Our little drafty apartment would be intolerable without a space heater. Before we got it, I used to come home and find Oren sitting at the table reading with his big coat, gloves and a toboggan.

Lastly, and most importantly, happy birthday, big brother! You are old, but at least if you are old, you can be wise, hot and humble (at least that is what someone commented on an earlier blog entry). Will this be the year that you finally fulfill your dream of becoming a synchronized swimmer? I hope so, or my gift will be a bit inappropriate.

Love you all!