Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Optimism

Optimism is what I have been asked to bring to my marriage today. My husband needs optimism. Optimism as in "an inclination to put the most favorable construction upon actions and events or to anticipate the best possible outcome" according to Webster's Dictionary. He has a best-case scenario outlook on life. I do not happen to share this perspective. Interestingly enough, he does appreciate that I am purposeful in most of my words and actions while he finds himself to be more lackadaisical in his approach to life in general. I foresee difficult days ahead.

That lack of an expectation that "All will be well." is precisely what drives me. I am constantly fighting the entropy in our lives. Entropy as in Webster's "a process of degradation or running down or a trend to disorder". I fight chaos. I thought that his relaxed approach and my need to plan worked rather well together, but apparently my concerns are weighing more on his happy than I realized. I am completely at a loss for how one can function without the driving need to hold the world and its craziness at bay. Hmmm. This request will have to be put to prayer. I have no idea how to meet this desire he expresses. It is utterly alien to everything that I am.

His glass is half full, but the waiter will be by at any moment to fill it back up. My glass is half empty, but I am carefully guarding it against evaporation and spills. I think my glass may actually be a sippy cup.

2 comments:

dabshire4 said...

You husband sounds like an infinitely wise man. You should be thankful he is so wise...

And I bet he is also VERY good looking. Just a guess. And Humble as well...

Laura said...

Is there water in that sippy cup?

L