Thursday, December 13, 2007

Good Stuff

I see my Bah Humbug beginning to fail. The gift shopping is finally over. I do not enjoy that aspect of this time of year. Part of the difficulty is my desire to find a gift that says to the recipient "You are appreciated.", "You are known.", and/or "See--- we pay attention to your wants/needs/likes." That creates the potential for some emotionally charged searching when it meets with my compulsion for bargain shopping.
Each item needs to be wrapped and placed under the tree for the cat to bat around the living room. That involves more shopping for pretty papers, tape, and gift tags. (I am currently boycotting ribbon. It's a personal problem that I might get over, but I'm not particularly worried about it.) Once the wrapping is finished I get to make piles of gifts according to who we will see on what date. My organized little heart grows several sizes with that activity.
The fun part of the holiday season kicks back in now. (I liked Thanksgiving. It was relaxed with just the five of us.) We look forward to a service project this weekend, getting together with loved ones, baking, cooking, shared meals, continuing our tours of local neighborhood light displays, Christmas Eve services, Mommy's Christmas Medley, etc. We're spending Christmas Eve and Day with a friend who is a planner. It gives me a big happy to discuss the menus, times, and the other details that we both recognize as important in enjoying relaxed celebrations by heading off as many potential uh-ohs and whoopses as possible. Merry Christmas here we come!

1 comment:

Laura said...

What a heart... trying to find gifts that make the person feel their worth and importance! Sometimes I feel like I'm doing the exact opposite just to get the job done. Your approach is much more appropriate for the season.

Hope the wee one is feeling better. (Can I still call her a wee one?)

Laura