Friday, December 28, 2007

Leftovers

Today is all about the leftovers. We are eating up the last of the edible leftovers from rolls to shower salad. (We all just sort of cringe when the bottomless bowl of tortilla soup confronts us accusingly from the bottom shelf of the fridge.) I am supremely sick of ham, corn casserole, shower salad, and the once beloved tortilla soup. Thankfully, the ham bone has been transferred to the freezer for a future pot of beans. The last of the rolls and corn casserole were consumed with lunch. I confess to pouring a bit of the tortilla soup down the sink simply because I couldn't stand the idea of even one more meal from the stuff. (I was thinking of the starving children, but that bowl still tilted right over the drain. This once, I choose to live with the guilt of waste.) I am actually thankful as I consider the need to prepare our next meal.
I've spent the day burning the last little bits in the bottom of all the Christmas candles and combining the wax into jar candles. I then meticulously scrape out any remnants and wash the assorted glass jars. The clean, empty jars will go to Ally who will recycle them by adding fresh wicks and wax. It's a beautiful "Waste not, want not." sort of thing. It's my way of redeeming myself for the soup down the sink thing.

No comments: