Friday, December 28, 2007

Wrong-O Moosebreath

There's wrong, and then there is WRONG. This morning I was fussing with the Spode Christmas Tree china that I have collected for the past dozen-plus years after falling in love with my Aunt Dee's collection. Several new pieces were added last weekend and I entertained myself by arranging and rearranging the assorted pieces on shelves and on the table in the dining room. (Yes, I know I'm a big dork, but I am perfectly okay with that.) I even took pictures of the whole mess--- actually that was for insurance purposes, but it makes the story sound better if we just say I was taking pictures of the china.

The new pieces just did not seem quite right next to the other pieces collected over the years. This afternoon I noticed that there was *Gasp!* a "Made in China" sticker on the bottom of one of the new pieces. Huh? Spode is classic English china, and it is definitely made in England. Apparently that changed this year. Now Spode Christmas Tree classic English china is made in Malaysia and China. The Malaysian pieces are okay, but the Chinese pieces are yucky.

Being the nut job that I am, I pretty much freaked out. You know I have already written to Spode today. I'm sure the company will be find my concerns valid and rush to rectify the problem. (Uh-huh, bet they'll get right on that.) I felt much better after venting, um, I mean, putting my thoughts in writing. Don and I returned the offending Chinese pieces to the retailers. I think we cost one of the stores some sales as I explained to another collector why we were rooting through all the pieces hunting "Made in England" or "A6" marks. Don made sure to thank God for the "Christmas Tree from England--- but not that stuff from China" along with saying grace at dinner this evening.

EDIT: Received a kind reply from Spode in less than 24 hours stating that the Far East manufacturing is in response to competitors (Wedgewood and Royal Doulton) sourcing production and consumer demand for competitive pricing. The writer was sympathetic to my desire for "real" Christmas Tree china, but for the company to "keep the doors open" the products must be sourced. If you come for a holiday meal, whatever you do, don't break or chip a dish without checking the bottom to see where it was made...

No comments: