Sunday, December 16, 2007

Minty

You think you know a person. Somehow 13 years of marriage have passed while Don's dislike of mint has escaped me. I guess his willingness to use mint toothpaste allowed this tidbit to fly under the radar. (He does have what was believed to be simple preference for cinnamon flavored dentifrice.) He recently made a shocking statement to the effect of "I do not like it Sam I am, I do not like it..." by itself or in combination with other things. Suddenly I'm having flashbacks to the vanilla mint breath mints and toothpaste he hated, the peppermint cocoa, Andes mints, and (most appalling) Girl Scout Thin Mints... it all made sense. It was an oddly "a-ha!" moment. Seemingly unimportant, but with consequences for the future.
I have been stockpiling my baking goodies. The recipes for holiday treats that will be created in our kitchen in addition to the banana and chocolate breads have been carefully selected. Andes mint pieces for cookies, peppermint marshmallow makings, candy cane cheesecake... you get the picture. For the record, Katie and I love chocolate with mint, vanilla with mint, etc. so it seemed reasonable for us to churn out minty goodness from the kitchen this December. I feel that this plan needs revision since parting the veil of mystery apparently still surrounding my husband to reveal his dislike of all things minty. I will still try out some of the mint-featured recipes, but that will no longer be our primary focus.
I'm thinking peanut butter and chocolate. Mmmm. Peanut Butter.

No comments: