Friday, April 4, 2008

Clearance

When was the last time you cleaned out a closet in your home? I can honestly say I cleaned out the closets two weeks ago. (Don and I made a run to Goodwill with multiple bags of clothing and some household goods the same day we hauled our super-funky old carpet to the dump.) I would think between leaving at least one bag for every charity that comes by our house and our trips to specifically pass along usable items to friends that we would have an empty home. Nope. Not even close. (Uh-oh. What does that say about our consumption around here?!)
If you have not seen us in many months, Don and I lost 100 pounds between us since last June. That means we replaced every stitch of clothing from underpants to overcoats culminating in a swimsuit purchase last week. (I actually giggled while trying on a swimsuit--- probably because I was pulling it on over my clothes in the middle of Sam's.) I keep thinking that I have cleared all usable items to go to someone else who needs them. I started by giving away everything in a size 24. (Yes, a 24. No, I am not 8 feet tall.) I eventually realized that the 18-22 sizes were long since too large, and those items were donated or given away. I admit to hanging onto the 1X-2Xs because those items might be needed. (There's that pack-rat trying to justify hanging onto stuff!)
This morning saw yet another search for clothing to be donated. I was floored to find my arms filled with items that someone else could be wearing that are in excellent condition--- much of them in reasonably current or classic styles and colors! I will make yet another trip to drop off these items as I continue to fight the good fight against the accumulation of an overabundance of possessions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! Doesn't the closet clean-out feel refreshing? I feel more and more liberated when I shed things that I don't use, and even better when I donate them to a good place to be put to use.
100 pounds? I am in awe. Wow.