Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Concerned Women

The phone rang, and I answered it without looking at the caller i.d. because I will still answer it even if I don't recognize the number. (I don't like to listen to voice mail. If I answer the phone, people don't leave messages.)
Caller: "May I speak to Mr. [insert correct pronunciation of spouse's full name here]?"
Voice in my head: Mmmm.
Out Loud: "May I ask who is calling?"
Caller: "This is Susie with "Concerned Women"."
Voice in my Head meet Out Loud: "And you are calling for Don [last name]?!"
Caller wisely guessed that she had the Mrs. on the phone. I think Caller took Mr. [insert full name here] off the phone list at my request.
Later, Don informs me that he has figured out why women have more than one baby. (Voice in my head is back with an interested, "Really? Do tell.") He has worked out that during labor all the unpleasant memories of pregnancy are somehow squashed by the downward pressure exerted to expell our young. This leaves only the pleasant, fun moments... like baby faces on sonograms, butterfly movements, and freedom from sucking in one's stomach even if you're only at 2 days gestation (and look like you're due next Tuesday). So there we have it. Women can continue to reproduce because our bodies and minds are acting in concert so that unpleasant pregnancy memories, "Get smashed." Okay then.
I'm thinking Concerned Women may have had the wrong list when they called here.

2 comments:

dabshire4 said...

'Zactly....

Lori said...

Hmmmmm, per Google, CW is about as far right as someone can go and then some, but the key word is in the name "women". Yeah, what do we not know about Mr. Don? And, by the way, it took us 5 years to "forget" and do it again, but we remembered after #2 and closed the shop!!!!!