Monday, April 14, 2008

Long Robes

I don't know how many times I have made comments to my kids following some public display of bad behavior or poor manner in order to teach them correct behavior despite the evidence they see around them of what is acceptable. In today's bit of scripture taken from Luke, Jesus takes a moment to teach the disciples as well as those who have been standing about observing the assorted religious leaders who attempted to challenge Jesus to battles of words and wit.
45And while all the people were listening, He said to the disciples,
46"Beware of the scribes, who like to walk around in long robes, and love respectful greetings in the market places, and chief seats in the synagogues and places of honor at banquets,
47who devour widows' houses, and for appearance's sake offer long prayers. These will receive greater condemnation." (Luke 20:45-47, NASB)
I could explore several tangents (and have done so this morning), but my attention today is caught by the "long robes", "respectful greetings in the market", "chief seats", and "places of honor". I certainly like to go out of the house knowing I look my best. Who doesn't enjoy being "made much of" from time to time by those they meet? The "best seats in the house" are always sought after. That's all sounding pretty good! Sign me up!
Or not. All that glitters is not gold, after all. What sort of rot has to be on the inside to "devour widows' houses"? Why would one wish to consume what is needed by another? Publicly, none would wish to do so. "For appearance's sake offer long prayers" is not solely limited to prayers, but can be expanded to include outward acts of piety based not on love for God, but on the love of self. This inner rot was not limited to the temple of Jesus's day. It very much so lives on in our modern world.
Anybody remember a televangelist beloved by millions including his wife who cried a televised river of mascara when his deeds off the air became fully publicized? His eventual imprisonment
and the legion of jokes cracked at his expense fit neatly under the heading of receiving "greater condemnation".
My own robes are not designer creations like Tammy Faye's, the shows of respect I receive are not likely to be televised, and my choice seats are in small venues unlikely to receive much notice. (I cannot remember the last time a news crew showed up to film us seated at the dinner table where I enjoy the hostess's seat.) Still, I hold to Jesus's warning to "beware", for my heart is susceptible to capture by appearance and honors.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen. Pride can really sneak up on a person, so I should be thankful more often for God's acts of humiliation on me.