Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Fly

The joys of hearing and making my own attempts to join the wonder of the sounds classified as music began to taper off as I received messages that either said I didn't have the discipline or the talent to play along through movement, vocals, or instrumental accompaniment. By the end of middle school, I had moved from any interest whatsoever in classical music having had it made clear that those hallowed halls were beyond my limited scope of understanding.
The wonders of electronic and "dance" music coming from the clubs and found extended out on 12" vinyl... well, no one seemed to have any requirements for either listening or moving to this music. The classical and country listeners seemed to really dislike it, too. All the better.
As years passed, I have continued to sing with the radio when no one is around. I have maintained the rebellious streak that allows me from time-to-time to burst into song or dance just because I can even if it is not "right".
Katie has never discouraged me from opening my mouth in an attempt to sing. Throughout her infancy, I sang to her to soothe her with "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star", the ABC's, or "Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer". (It eventually reached the point where I could hum those tunes in my sleep for brief periods.) As she has grown, Katie has had many of the same opportunities that I had as a child to experiment with dancing lessons, guitar lessons, children's choir, and music class at school. She has not shared my feeling of being shut-down as each avenue closed off. No one is telling her she lacks discipline or is tone-deaf. She is being given wings, and I am so thankful to have the opportunity to watch this wild young bird spread those wings and test them as she discovers and develops her talents.

No comments: