Thursday, March 20, 2008

Infusion Day

Infusion day comes every four weeks. Today's the day. I am given the IVIG (Immunoglobulin) for CVID (Common Variable Immunodeficiency). Loosely defined, CVID means my immune system is a weenie. I get infections and am more susceptible to certain cancers. There is no cure, but the IVIG is a good treatment if not particularly pleasant or convenient.

Nurse Kathy comes to our house. The IVIG is a blood product, but it comes in a powdered form that has to be dissolved in sterile saline. It can't be stirred, so this can take a long time. This morning it took two hours to dissolve the medication, and it will take about four hours to run the medication through the I.V. Instead of a pole, I carry my pouch of medicine and the I.V. pump around in a bag.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi there,

i, too, have CVID and get IVIG every four weeks. however, i have to go to a doctor's office to get it (and sit for 5 hours as it runs.) if you don't mind, i was wondering -- how did you manage to get this to be done while you're at home? advantages? disadvantages?

thanks! good health to you!