Sunday, March 30, 2008

Give It Away

Recently I read an article on YAHOO! regarding a study that showed happiness was linked not to income, but to giving. I was not terribly surprised by the study results that indicated that people who gave to others generally reported feeling happier and more satisfied than those who did not. In talking with the kids about giving, I asked each of them to bring me three things they were willing to give away. Erin offered three of her beloved Magic Tree House books. Evan brought me three dollars and promised to get his birthday "Thank You" notes written. Katie appeared with a sparkly silver purse, a paperback book, and a Bible. Erin was also keen to clear all canned goods from our pantry to take to hungry people. When I asked where we would find the people who needed these items, Erin had a bright idea. She ran to the computer to search "poorpeople.com".

No comments: