Monday, January 14, 2008

Feet are yucky.

Today I told Don that I think I could be a better Mom to Evan if I could just change my attitude about some of his weirder behaviors. Despite our discussion about how I might better respond to some of his less appropriate moments, I was still unprepared for tonight's Monopoly game. The boy put the dice inside his sock with his foot. He did not understand why I would not let him hand me the dice after he removed them from "storage". Both his sisters and I tried to explain that feet are gross. People do not want to be touched with feet or touch things that have been in contact with feet. For the life of me, I could not come up with any valid reason why not--- probably because I was busy being overwhelmed by the yuck factor.
I made the boy go to wash the dice. He came back from running water in the sink to hand me the still unwashed dice. I informed him that the dice needed to go under the water and that soap should be vigorously applied before rinsing and towel drying after the foot contact. I scrubbed my hands and the offending dice while continuing with my mental "Ew. Ew. Ew. Ewwwww." chorus.
I reminded him that last weekend I held his head over the sink to apply soap to his hair because he refused to use soap in the shower. (He is definitely too old for me to be bathing him, and Don has already tried repeatedly to teach Evan how to wash his hair. That leaves two options: I wash it over the sink, or it stays dirty forever.) I explained that the same concept of using soap to clean his hair would also apply to anything that had touched feet. We'll see if the soap instruction takes this time.

No comments: