Monday, January 28, 2008

Good Game

Today we played a new game. Bella was laying on her side sliding back and forth on the floor in front of the sofa with a paw stretched out underneath it. While I found that mildy entertaining, I figured her little legs just are not long enough to reach whatever she was after. Feeling momentarily merciful, I pulled the sofa out to discover exactly what had caught her eye. Over a dozen ponytail holders were under the sofa. While one or two may have wandered under there after escaping from either my or the girls' hair, I doubt we can accept full responsibility. Bella can. Hair bands are Bella's very favorite toy other than dog tails. (The hair bands are far more cooperative about being played with than the dog tails are typically.)
Don and I agreed that flinging all the ponytail holders in the air at once would be a good idea to get the cat excited. The cat, in true cat form, did not particularly care. Until I kicked one catching her undivided attention. She likes that very much. I kick a hair band so it skitters across the laminate floor at Bella. She entertains me by failing to hit the brakes and crashing into walls and furniture chasing after the hairband. It's a good game.
When the dogs decide to play it becomes a complicated game. It's like soccer, but with hairy four-footed players who have the distinct disadvantage of being unable to get their footing as they pick up speed. Hee-hee. This is my kind of game. We add to the challenge by putting another rubber band into play. Bella alters the play to more closely resemble "Monkey in the Middle" by playing from atop furniture the dogs are not allowed to climb. The dogs give up easily and decide to nap. Bella discovers a power cord to chew on requiring me to put the furniture back in place before the cat fries herself. I think it is her way of indicating that the game is over.

No comments: