Thursday, January 31, 2008

Ducking

The ducking principle has yet to fail. Yesterday, I had the opportunity to explain the ducking principal to Katie in terms of the fruit of the Spirit (specifically self-control). The ducking principle, for those unacquainted with it, is simply the idea of "ducking" to get out of the way so God can work without our interference (no matter how well intended).

22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
23gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
24Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
25If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. Galations 5:22-25, NASB)

All that good stuff listed in Galatians 5 happens when we duck. When our actions, words, attitudes, and lives are in submission to Christ, then we will display the fruit of the Spirit. When we attempt to seize control in our lives, things tend to go south quickly. Ducking and submission go hand-in-hand. I find I need more courage to ride along in the passenger seat than would be necessary if I were reaching for the wheel to help steer as I go hurtling down the highway of life. (Incidentally, I am more of a brake stomper than a wheel grabber. I want to stop and carefully plan the route before proceeding... )

No comments: