Sunday, January 6, 2008

Submit, submit, submit...

Grrr. The boy had quite an evening followed by quite a night. He was really mad at us because, in his words, we "always assume the worst" [about him]. I'm of the opinion that evidence which paints a clear picture does not add up to an assumption so much as a conclusion. Don & I would be not so much "assuming" as not being stupid in the scenarios which led to the boy reaching level one (no contact with friends) followed by several "resets" (a level lasts for 24 hours without incidence of disrespect) until he attained level two (no electronics--- a fate worse than death in his mind). The lying, even in the face of overwhelming evidence of his misdeeds, makes me crazy.
It was great to see so many friends who we have missed over the last couple of weeks at church this morning. This was one of those days when the message hits just right--- it was on worship---and the Lord speaks very clearly. I need periodic reminders of the tie between sacrifice and worship. I need the reminder that worship is found in the state of my heart during the most mundane activities. In every aspect of of life, from dealing with the attitude of our son to attending church service or running the endless loads of dishes and laundry, I have one opportunity after another to worship God by putting others first, honoring Him in my attitude and actions, and by recognizing the obvious gifts He has granted and the often less-obvious ones by which He will grow and teach me. Sometimes I do better than others. The times when I do not do well will hopefully continue to diminish over time as I continue to learn to submit. Doesn't it always seem to come back to submission?!
Here's to a gentle and quiet spirit.

No comments: