Thursday, January 3, 2008

Laundry, continued

Fair warning: If you have not read "Laundry" from earlier today you are not prepared to fully appreciating the following...
Katie began to feel concerned when her friend had not called over an hour and a half after the arranged time to confirm the sleepover time for this evening. She was allowed to phone in order to check in with Madison. I spoke with Madison's mom who apologized for M.'s not calling by explaining that her daughter was not allowed to phone Katie until after she... ahem... got around to putting away her laundry. I laughed and explained that Katie was still at least one more load from being allowed to leave the house. We shared one of those knowing Mom laughs that kids generally dislike.
Katie owes Evan one full load of his laundry done by her so she could get out the door to go to Madison's house for the night. It's a good deal for them both. She will do a super job on his laundry later, and he was already doing laundry so putting away her incidental belongings from the final load was not a big chore. She went to her friend's house at the appointed time, and he will skip out of a load of laundry in the future. The laundry is done. Mama's happy, so everybody's happy.
Or so one would think. Apparently Katie made an error in her rush to get out the door. She stripped off the pj pants she had been wearing all day around the house... and threw them in the floor of her bedroom. I found those at about 8:00 this evening. I phoned her friend's mother and explained that the jammies were on the floor and I would like to pick my daughter up so she could come home to put said jammies in the hamper. (Madison's Mom was amused.) I picked Katie up a few minutes later and drove her back home. I waited out front in the truck while she ran inside to put the offending jammies in the hamper. Jammies in the hamper, 20 minutes out of Katie's night with her friend, and I drove Katie back to Madison's for the night before heading home feeling rather pleased with myself.

*Note: Katie was not in the least upset with me. It made perfect sense to her that I would expect her to come home to pick up one pair of pj pants left on the floor. That's my girl.

No comments: