Thursday, January 10, 2008

Involved



Erin is begging for gymnastics or cheer lessons. She has recently developed a system of travel by cartwheel. (See photos. Sorry they are of her back, but I have concerns with posting kid pics on-line.) I remember the sheer fun of flipping upside down as a kid, and I am not lacking in sympathy. I do prefer that she not incur or inflict any injuries or break any objects. She does cartwheels in stores, in the living room, in the yard, on the side walk, on the grass...
Don and I have heard that parents should try to take an interest in the activities that excite their kids rather than trying to draw the children into the adult's preferred activities. We are not solely subscribing to this theory, but we are applying it. That means we play Risk with Evan who loves all sorts of games. I do cartwheels with Erin and spot both girls with back bends. Don taught Katie how to play her scales on the guitar. I "sing" and "dance" around to Disney soundtracks with my girls until the music becomes so ingrained that I hum the tunes when the girls are not even home. Don and I watch the movies they love, read books by their favorite authors, listen to Radio Disney, and generally try to stay involved with them. I'll let you know how this plan works out in about 10-20 years.

No comments: