Thursday, January 3, 2008

Girls Rock

In the beginning there was... well, Janis Joplin is really all I can think of in the way of early women in rock besides groupies. (Ew.) In the early punk scene in California there arose a group made up solely of women who went on to pop success as a group and through a couple of solo adventures... and soon the whole original band will be here. The Go-Go's are coming! The Go-Go's are coming! The Go-Go's are coming! They'll be in Dallas at The House of Blues on February 2nd. Don is thinking we might try to catch the show for my "Happy Birthday".
I love the Go-Go's. (In case you couldn't tell.) My two eldest children were danced around apartment living rooms to the Go-Go's on cd regularly during their formative years. (Erin missed out on this important rite of childhood because she was mostly raised by Mrs. Sylvia. Sylvia creates child geniuses, I just make 'em into really bad dancers who sing loudly if not well.) My Aunt Nancy and I could act out the Go-Go's "Vacation" video when we were in elementary school. We really preferred to make up our own dances or have my mom show us old ones like the Monkey or the Jerk to put with our favorite songs like "Cool Jerk". My personal anthem is a Go-Go's tune: "Girl of 100 Lists".

No comments: